Saturday, October 17, 2009

A good sense of style

I realize that this may be going against the assignment, but I don't really know of anyone whose voice I would want to copy, and therefore I will not be copying a fellow writer's style for this post. Philip Agre says to "Choose someone you identify with and copy their voice -- not their exact words but their style -- until you get comfortable"-- that's just it, until you get comfortable. Personally, I am comfortable with my own voice. As Agre suggests, I laugh at my mistakes, I respond to others' discussions and I come up with alternate ways to say what I need to say. I don't think that it's necessary for me to copy someone else's voice because, although I may be relatively new to the professional writing world, I am comfortable with what I am saying and how I am saying it.

However, I do agree with many of the ideas that Agre suggests in his article "Find Your Voice: Writing for a Webzine." Agre says "Don't wait for your public voice to grow automatically, because it won't. Build it. Consciously choose to start out easy, get comfortable, and ramp up." Blogging is an excellent way to do this. With a blog, you can gradually build your voice with every post; maybe start slow than work your way up to more intricate and in-depth posts about more complicated topics. I can definitely relate this to my own blog. At first, I was hesitant about what to post, however, now I feel more comfortable with blogging and with my voice in my own blog.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite journalists is John McPhee, who writes for the New Yorker. His work is collected in the John McPhee reader and other places.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McPhee
    While I don't consciously imitate his style, I do consider and use parts of his writing process. I agree, Marissa, blogging is an ideal way to discover a writing voice and a journalistic style.
    Christine Tracy

    ReplyDelete