Sunday, October 11, 2009

Huh?

This post is in response to a post by one of my classmates, Wade Hooks, about the general intellect of the American public.

Not only are Americans not being taught about what is important, such as how to save and budget money as Wade mentions, the focus is totally off. Kids in school, even if they were learning the more important things in life, are not focused on the actual learning that could be taking place, but of the grade they will receive when they turn in their assignment. It's not about gaining an understanding of the subjects being taught, it's about memorization, and as soon as that exam passes, most of the information is simply forgotten.

I know that I personally was very concerned about grades in high school, and I would be lying if I said that grades do not bother me anymore now that I am in college, but is that my fault? All throughout our scholastic careers, the concept of "getting good grades" is constantly being hammered into our brains -- good grades equals success, bad grades equals failure. This is not only making learning a chore, but causing more and more Americans to focus on the letter on top of the exam rather than the content of it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! We focus almost entirely on grades without really understanding the subject we are studying. It is crucial that we get a basic understanding of as many subjects possible. Otherwise we become mere cogs on the gears of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete